Cats – Top 5 Popular Breeds in US.The 5 Most Popular Cat Breeds as listed by
The Cat Fanciers’ Association (CFA)
The Cat Fanciers’ Association (CFA) was established in the United States in 1906
The organization’s stated mission is to preserve and promote the pedigreed breeds
of cats and to enhance the well-being of all cats.
CFA’s first licensed cat shows were held in Buffalo, New York and Detroit, Michigan in 1906.
CFA recognized 39 breeds for its Championship Class, one in Provisional Class and one in Miscellaneous Class.
Please see the information box for more details.
The top ten cat breeds in the U.S. are as varied as their American owners:
1. The Persian: This breed has been number one since the CFA first started keeping records in 1871.
Persians are affectionate and loyal but need their long fur groomed every day.
Its name refers to Persia, the former name of Iran, where similar cats are found.
2. The Maine Coon: This breed has been in second place since 1992 and it’s no wonder. This is a very gentle, loving creature who is large by cat-size. They weigh between 15 and 25 lbs. and have long fur like the Persian. However, they do not need as much grooming as the Persian.
It is one of the oldest natural breeds in North America
3. The Exotic: This breed is like a Persian but with short fur. Their nickname is “Persian in Pajamas” because of their coloring. They are sweet like a Persian but only need brushing twice a week.
Because of the regular use of Persians as outcrosses, some Exotics may carry a copy of the recessive longhair gene. When two such cats mate, there is a one in four chance of each offspring being longhaired.
4. The Siamese: The yowl of a Siamese is very familiar to fanciers of this breed. And it’s not just for attention – Siamese like to “chat” with their owners. This is a sleek cat who is very athletic. They usually gravitate to one person and are loyal and loving.
The breed originated in Thailand (formerly known as Siam),
5. The Abyssinian: These cats are considered some of the lookers in the cat world. Thin and elegant with a shiny coat, they are active felines, very playful and friendly.
There are many stories about its origins, often revolving around Ethiopia, but the actual origins are uncertain